Sunday 9 February 2014

Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela: Alive in our hearts!

TRIBUTE TO OUR FALLEN HERO:
NELSON ROLIHLAHLA MANDELA:
ALIVE IN OUR HEARTS!

It was a cold morning, here in the village of Mvezo, when we heard a child was born.  He was named Rolihlahla Mandela and his clan name was Madiba.  History had just been made, yet little did we know!

As you ran barefoot in the field, stick-fighting with your friends.  As you walked in the rain, careless of your muddied feet.  Did you ever think you would ever rise in stature?  Did you know many would speak your name for years to come?  Tata Mandela, we salute you!

An epitome of wisdom
Sower of hope
Valiant soldier
Ambassador of love and peace
Humble, yet so great, you live on in our hearts!

For our sake you gave up the warmth of family.  All those years spent in a small, cold cell, your only friend was the pen;  they say in difficult times the pen is the sword!  I can almost see you reading through your secret diary, then suddenly you would smile as you lay on that cold bed thinking, 'One day soon, and history will be made!'  Then in 1994 surely history was made!

You may be gone, yet you still live on. You are the rock of our nation, and children sing your praises.  Through your life we learnt the power of forgiveness.  Through your example we are stirred to love beyond race.  No more hatred;  forgiveness is strength.  We walk in your footsteps as we build a united democratic republic.  The seed has been planted and in a little while it will fully grow.  We will pass on all you taught to future generations.

We remember the radiant smile and the humble gait of a giant.  You sowed the seed and you ran your race well!  Your work here is done, and now it's time to rest.  Sleep in peace, Tata, until we meet again!

© Yvonne Maserumule, 2014
(All rights reserved)

20 comments:

  1. A beautiful tribute to a great man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apology, misspelled your name. Thanks, Christina! God bless, Yvonne

      Delete
  2. Beautifully expressed, Yvonne. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Yvonne :-) Thanks for sending me the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful tribute to a great man.
    Blessings to you and to yours Yvonne -
    May peace and joy follow you always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your beautiful comment, Laura! Many, many blessings!

      Delete
  5. What a touching a beautiful remembrance. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Wynn! Stay blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading this heartfelt and genuine post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephen! It's a blessing and such an encouragement to receive feedback such as yours! Much appreciated!

      Delete
  8. Hi Yvonne,

    Its a pleasure to be connected with you. I read your two beautiful poems on your site.
    The release of Mandela was a symbol of hope for all of us fellow South Africans Africans and the world too. I lost my husband in February this year due to substance abuse. I can relate to your poetry. I mix fantasy and reality too, drawing on my life's experiences and then beautifying the harshness.

    Today I received an African, grass basket from a friend for my birthday. It made me homesick. I hope to visit my dad in Cape Town soon.

    Keep writing.

    Best regards,
    Michelle Assor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Michelle, thank you so much for your beautiful letter. I find it encouraging that you and others are genuinely touched by my tributes. Stay blessed always!

      Delete
  9. My dearest angel,

    I must say that your inspirations are heart touching and overwhelming. Your touching inspirations brought a tear to my eye because I've seen myself in you....never knew there were two hearts so alike,...gentle, kind, giving, caring, loving, compassionate, big, etc,etc...the list goes on without any end. All I can say is: "I wish you well on your journey of godliness and let us pray for more to be like us" Lets join hands in prayer and wish for more...AMEN!!! :-)

    God bless you.
    Love,
    Esmeralda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esmeralda: Thank you so much for such a lovely comment... I'm overwhelmed! Truly humbled by your words and encouraged. God bless, my sis'!

      Delete
  10. You are inspiring not only local Mzansi, but all angles of the globe. So keep up the good work.
    I pray that the near futures African most prominent woman Writer be called by your name.
    See if this can interest you.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story#

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your encouraging comment, Thokozani! I am humbled. Will definitely visit the site you referred me to. I look up to prominent women such as Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Stay blessed! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Truly a beautiful and moving tribute.

    ReplyDelete