Sunday 13 April 2014

TRIBUTE TO ALL PARENTS WHOSE CHILDREN ARE BATTLING SUBSTANCE ABUSE

STILL MY CHILD
(Discovered that my tribute shares the same title as a song by Mary Mary)

I can feel the cool breeze;
wind blowing through the door.
Tears sting my eyes
as my weary heart recalls.

You were barely two,
still learning how to speak.
"Mama... Papa..."
the only words you could say!

I would reach to you,
holding you ever close.
I would feel your tender heart,
the warmth of your wholesome breath.

Gave you all you needed
My love, care, concern
You were always content
Though daddy was not there

You taught me how to love
and how to care with all my being.
Every moment spent with you,
teaching you one, two, three!

At age five
you and I were the best of friends.
We would play hide and seek,
word games, or Simon says.
"I love you, Mama!"
You would say, spent - ever tired.
"Goodnight, angel.  Mommy loves you too!"

Now you are all grown
and all innocence is lost.
A tragic life of pain, insecurity
and no self-love.
Addicted to substance,
no concern for self, no care.
You are still my child,
and you are always in my heart!

© Yvonne Mahlape Maserumule, 2014
(All rights reserved)

18 comments:

  1. Very touching Yvonne. You have a huge heart. Elaine Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my site, Elaine. God bless!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Tributes all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In tears after reading this, Yvonne! You are a gifted writer, and I hope this reaches many eyes and touches many hearts as it has touched mine. Thank you for sharing this your readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your kind words, Pam! I am encouraged! God bless!

      Delete
  4. Such beautiful expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your poetry is so heartfelt and touching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm encouraged by your comments on my blog! You are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dima, you are the best there is, Your poems are beautiful and yet touching . Keep it up little sis. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, my sis'! Super blessed by your comment! Love you very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. May your heart feel peace and healing through you written words. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Jean! You're a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful poem. Substance abuse is a battle I wish on no one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Kurt! Blessed by your comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your words are beautiful Yvonne! Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my dear! Encouraged by your comment! :-)

      Delete