Wednesday 11 June 2014

REMEMBERING THE 80s (ST MARK'S COLLEGE, JANE FURSE, SOUTH AFRICA)

Soldiers came, invaded;
most fully armoured.
We ran in all directions
amid a smell of fear.

Alone in the cold dorm,
I hid in the shower.
I then prayed to God
to keep us safe and sound.

I wet my pretty skirt
as big boots marched inside.
His blue eyes piercing mine,
he knelt right next to me:
"It is okay now, kid;
I'm your friend - won't do you harm."
"Why, then, are you here?"
I whispered, starring back.
He only smiled at me
and gently stroked my back.

He reached inside his pocket;
took out a small, black book.
"My Bible!" he then said,
as he smiled and drew me close.
"He really has no gun;
just the Sword of the Spirit!"
He glanced and winked at me
as though reading my roaming mind.

For quite some time we sat
until he broke the silence:
"You know the Armour of God?"
He asked, playfully nudging me.
I quietly nodded back,
all fear, all terror gone.
We then both read The Book
as he hugged me ever close.

"Time for me to go;
I think now duty calls!"
"Great meeting you, my friend;
my name is Lebohang."
"You may call me Andries!"
he said, hugged me goodbye.
Very soon he was gone,
together with the rest!

© Yvonne Mahlape Maserumule, 2014
(All rights reserved) (A combination of reality and a bit of the author's own imagination)

12 comments:

  1. A beautiful written poem, sharing one of the actual experiences of the Apartheid era. Emotional and sad, taking children into consideration in those turbulence times.The combination of both fiction and facts still makes the poem very touchy and understandable, because there is always a guiding angel to comfort and rescue little children. Jesus loves them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Joel. I look up to you and many others of your calibre in the creative writing field. You are truly awesome!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written poem and I like the articulation in your writing.... Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot, Lucky! I'm encouraged by your words. I appreciate your interest in my work!

      Delete
  4. Awesome piece of work, your work will contribute in changing the worlds superficial thinking about Africa, especially Mzansi.... A poem sitting on a summit of a profound theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thokozani, your comment is truly encouraging. I am humbled by your words. God bless!

      Delete
  5. It still sounds pretty terrifying! Great use of language, It really felt like I was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was terrifying, Caron. We were only kids then, and the sight of guns and military uniform was very threatening.

      Delete
  6. Your poem is exquisitely written and heartening. The mention of the Bible warms my heart and it does truly have the effect to pull individuals together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! I'm always humbled when I receive encouraging comments from creatives of high calibre as yourself! :-)

      Delete